Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Reading for Grown Ups


Last  week we featured books for kids, this week we will feature the grown up books.
Special thanks to
Angela Jackson, Kristen Kanoski, Andrea Flagg,Becky Kavanagh, Tara Lindsay, Jennifer Gay,April Krause, Beth Taylor and Donna Saunders for the enthusiastic and prompt response to these questions.
We have included links so you can click and buy at Amazon.com

What is your favorite grown up book that you can read over and over again and never get tired of it.
Andrea Flagg:I love books about anyone overcoming hardships especially surviors of the Holocaust-
So-All but my life- by Gerda Weissmann Klein
by~ Livia Bitton-Jackson

Becky Kavanagh: Anything written by Jane Austin . . . I just love her writing! And on that same not anything written by Fannie Flagg - again she's amazing!

Tara Lindsay: I can read Wuthering Heights forever. I also love Laurie Notaro's non-fiction books (they always crack me up!). "P.S. I love you" by Cecilia Ahern (which is far, far, far better than the movie could have ever hoped to be), and "Introduction to the Devout Life" by St. Francis de Sales.

Jennifer Gay: Grown up books I can read over and over. The Twilight series and anything by Nicholas Sparks

Beth Taylor: Probably the Babysitters Club series..LOL.
What are you reading right now?
Angela Jackson: Nora Roberts-The Stanilaski series(this is not available on Amazon right now but we gave you a link to Nora Roberts books)
Kristen Kanoski:
Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke, a super easy read and no thinking required.
Andrea Flagg: Killing Willis by Todd Bridges
Tara Lindsay:  Right now I am rereading "To Kill a Mockingbird" with some friends.
April Krause: Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

What do you plan to read this summer?
Angela Jackson: Nora Roberts, The Help, Percy and the Olympians
Kristen Kanoski: The Help, Lovely Bones and The Shack, again
Andrea Flagg: The new Kendra Wilkenson book
 I love Biographies- and can only read non-fiction.
Becky Kavanagh: Summer is my time to reread all my favorites - Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Fried Green Tomatoes . . . you see my obsession?! I indulge in it during the summer. I also try to include a few mysteries just to bring in some variety. HA!!

Tara Lindsay: I don't plan ahead much in my reading...I pretty much just go with whatever appeals to me at the moment. I read 4-5 books a week as it is.


 Beth Taylor: Pick up the rest of the Yada Yada prayer group series at the library and continue and complete that series

Donna Saunders:whatever catches my eye
One final note : April Krause shared this website with us,
http://www.shelfari.com/
She says it's a great site to keep track of books that you read or want to read.

We hope you enjoyed this feature and that you discovered some books you want to read this summer too.
Please share with us, what your favorites are and what you plan to read this summer.
Several of our contributors mentions "The Help" I just finished this book and highly recommend it. I absolutely loved it.
Happy Reading!
Don't forget to share your favorite books with us in the comment section!
Glenda













2 comments:

Anonymous June 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

I love Science Fiction that is strong on characterization, and highly recommend the books of Lois McMasters Bujold...especially the Vor Books. Of course, if you haven't read everything by Madeleine L'Engle or Tamora Pierce yet, I'd be hard pressed to say which to start with. OK, L'Engle, definitely...and not just her books with fantasy elements!

This summer, among many other things, I'm reading the books of Elizabeth Moon. I tried "The Speed of Dark", which was written from the POV of one of the world's last remaining autistic adults after the gene had been identified and eliminated. I couldn't put it down!

I also recommend "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin, even if you never work with anyone with autism. She makes it possible to see into the workings of a completely differently wired mind! For instance, she can remember what happened, or how she felt about it, but not at the same time!

I could just go on and on about the books that have transported me and stretched my mind!

Heather June 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Anything by Beverly Lewis...I love reading about the Amish. Too bad I have read all her books now. Need something new.

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Labels

How to reach & find us

You can email us at
regardingnannies (at) gmail (dot) com

Regarding Nannies Goal

The goal of Regarding Nannies is to bring together a variety of professional nanny related blogs and resources that will assist in projecting a professional image of the nanny industry. As well as serving as an information source for all nanny/child related topics and resources to nannies regardless of where they are on the career ladder.





Internet Copyright Notice

This website and its content is copyright of Regarding Nannies © 2009. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only
you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material
You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP